This gorgeous and colorful 8-layer taco salad recipe is made healthier by using ground turkey in place of beef, adding Greek yogurt and bumping up the amount of vegetables. Serve this salad in a clear glass bowl and you’ll have an eye-catching party-worthy dinner or potluck side in just 30 minutes.
Makes: 6 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
Serving Size: about 1 2/3 cups each
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 5 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado, yogurt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Transfer the turkey and any juice from the pan to a serving bowl. Layer chips, salsa, beans and lettuce over the turkey. Spread the avocado mixture over the lettuce. Top with cheese, then tomato.
Per serving: 383 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 8 g fiber; 630 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat