I will be careful to live a blameless life—when will You come to help me? I will lead a life of integrity in my own home. (Psalms 101:2 NLT)
Because of David’s love for God he vows to live a life to honor God. When you read the eight verses of this Psalms you think it is a checklist of things to do to earn God’s favor and salvation. But on closer look, especially verse 2, David knows he cannot follow his heart’s desire to please God without God’s help.
The guidelines that David lists are good for us today.
- Verse 2 – be a leader with integrity, both at home and outside the home
- Verse 3 – refuse to look at anything that would distract us from Jesus
- Verse 4 – avoid evil at all costs
- Verse 5 – be intolerant of people who are not merciful to others
- Verse 6 – choose friends that have integrity
- Verse 7 – choose employees that have integrity, teach children to have integrity
- Verse 8 – help others to live a morally clean life
David’s list is a great guide for living a life of integrity that will bring honor to our Lord and Savior. However, we cannot do it alone. We need His help.